The Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom (FNF) is a German liberal foundation with offices in over 50 countries and projects in more than 70 countries. FNF has been working in Bangladesh since 2012 to promote economic freedom, good governance, digital transformation and smart cities.
FNF has been awarded a three year contract by the European Commission to implement the project “Digital Citizenship”. The overall objective of the project is to contribute to a safe and secure digital environment for Freedom of Expression (FOE) and critical thinking in Bangladesh, especially for young people from disadvantaged groups and remote areas.
To accomplish the project objectives a three-pronged approach will be utilized. First, young people will be addressed directly, through interactive learning sessions and the availability of an e-platform with relevant content. The objective will be to familiarise them with the concept of digital citizenship and enable them to express themselves freely and safely on social media. Secondly, the action will raise awareness and knowledge of journalists as well as teachers of digital security issues. This will enable them to guide and support young people in navigating cyberspace. Finally, the project will be working with policy- makers and regulators to ensure that the regulatory and legislative reforms become more enabling and encouraging for young people to freely and safely express themselves
The local implementing partner of the project will be Dnet. Dnet is a not-for-profit social enterprise providing solutions and implementing development projects for the improvement of the life of women, children, and the youth.
Finance Executive- Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom, Bangladesh
Location: Uttara, Dhaka with frequent travel to partner (Dnet) office in Mohammadpur, Dhaka and project implementation areas outside Dhaka.
Reports to: Project Director, FNF Bangladesh and Sri Lanka; Country Representative, FNF Bangladesh; Finance Manager, FNF Bangladesh; Regional Finance Coordinator, South Asia
Purpose: The incumbent will be responsible for the administration and financial management of the project ensuring appropriate compliance as per requirements of Friedrich Naumann Foundation and the European Commission.
Employment Start: February 15, 2020 (negotiable)
Contract Duration: 3 years
Salary: Negotiable based on qualification and experience
Application Deadline: January 31, 2020
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Overall financial and administrative management of the project -- budgeting, accounting, reporting, human resources and procurement management in compliance with Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom, Delegation of the European Union to Bangladesh, and Government of Bangladesh (GoB).
- Ensure internal financial controls (ensure, monitor and report on compliance) and advise contract partners on financial systems and audit procedures
- To process the partners’ and programme accounts, produce internal checking reports and settle the accounting queries. Also develop and contribute in promoting measures to uphold and possibly improve the quality of accounts within the assigned project.
- Responsible for accounting and preservation of the related documents in the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software (NAVISION).
- Manage tax and legal issues ensuring compliance with local statutory requirements.
- Training project and partner’s staff on “Financial, Accounting and Reporting guidelines of Friedrich Naumann Foundation” and “Delegation of the European Union.”
- Liaise with partners and GoB as and when required regarding compliance and financial issues.
- Liaise with the Delegation of the European Union to Bangladesh office as well as Friedrich Naumann Foundation South Asia Regional Office and head office.
- In the absence of the Program Manager, represent FNF at seminars, workshops and other programs.
- Any other task assigned by the Supervisor(s). The incumbent periodically will be required to perform duties that are beyond the scope of the job description given above.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelors or above in Commerce/Business Administration or relevant discipline from a well reputed university
- At least 2 years’ in-depth experience of working in the development sector with respect to Accounting/Finance and Administration. Candidates with prior experience working in EU funded projects will be given preference.
- Strong orientation and experience in financial and/or management accounting
- Experience in Enterprise Resource Planning software
- Good practical understanding of the tax laws and legal issues ensuring compliance with local statutory requirements
- Excellent IT knowledge on advance MS excel, word and power point
- Strong communication skills (both English and Bangla; applicants with knowledge of German will be given preference)
- Willingness to travel extensively within the project locations
Interested candidates send your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org within the deadline and write the name of the position you are applying for in the email subject.